SkyPilot
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothH View Post
I am very cautious about the brake pedal. That thing is difficul to drill through for a reason. There is never much pressure on the clutch or gas pedal but the brake pedal in a car can see tremendous force and has to be robust. I'm cautious about anything that goes on a brake pedal. It has to be able to stand up and IMO, must never compromise the ability of the driver to stop the car. A slip-on stamped sheet metal piece is out of the question for me.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. If all you are after is a look, then I guess they are OK. More power to you. They are not for me.

For a serious driver however, the deficient placement and size of the stock Focus pedals on the 5-speed models cannot be understated. For an otherwise nice car, the 12/13 Focus has to have one of the worst setups I have ever driven. Heel-Toe (roll foot) downshifting is possible but it has to be done very deliberately and with attention and is easy to screw up. The dealer let me drive an ST when I bought my SE and they are no different. Horrible.

I may oder the autovation pedals. I had a set on my SVT Contour which I just about wore through and liked them a lot. The only thing stopping me is that the aftermarket setup will do little to elevate the gas pedal. I would really like to see about making a one inch aluminum spacer to get the gas up a bit higher. Right now I'm in Winnie the Pooh mode... think, think, think... just mulling it over, whether I want to make a spacer myself.

Has anyone done any work on developing a decent spacer? Something which is robust enough for safety reasons and refined enough to look like it isn't a hack job? Something which raises the gas pedal up an inch or so?

It would be really nice to get that autovation gas pedal in a 1 inch thick model.

-Tim-
The Pedal i posted a pic of above. Is a FORD part. It is a perfect of a fit as possible. the break and clutch pedals are replaced with the covers and as for the gas the cover fits over the pedal and adds about a 1/2 inch to it. and the price cannot be beat.

but the focus has always been horrible for heel-toe driving.
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums