Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - New Member - 'New '02 Focus SPI' in the family - I "Get It"
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
vaxxine
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106397
What I Drive: 2002 Focus w/2 L SPI

FF Reputation: 1 vaxxine Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
New Member - 'New '02 Focus SPI' in the family - I "Get It"

24 hours ago I didn't know what a Focus looked like and had never heard of an SPI. Last night my daughter dropped off her 'new' '02 Focus so I could do an oil change and look it over. This morning I sit down with a coffee, Google 2002 Ford Focus - holy mother of gawd - what a way to start a Sunday. 2 hours later I've seen more Youtube videos of grenaded 2.0 SPI motors than I care to remember. I found this Forum, read countless threads. I think I 'get it'. I was fully prepared to read about changing the timing belt before it's too late, but I never expected this !

So - it looks like first order of business is get this head replaced while it's still running fine. Yes ? Timing belt gets done at the same time.

There's an ungodly amount of vibration in this car when it's first started and idling. Seems to diminish once the car is well warmed up but it doesn't go away completely. Motor mounts ? Transmission vibration ? I had a look at the mount under the airbox and it appears to be knackered.

What else ?

Mileage is 128K km ( 79K miles).