Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Rear Wheel Bearing: Replace Bad One or Both?
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #8
sailor
Crankshaft

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 11,780, Level 71
Points: 11,780, Level: 71 Points: 11,780, Level: 71 Points: 11,780, Level: 71
Level Up 33% Completed
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 79 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
amc - agreed!

Guess I need to clarify my reasoning here.

Note the last comment in my FIRST response, assuming that the 2000 Focus was on it's original rear brakes, and had a dozen years & quite a few miles on it - When one rear bearing needs replacement you probably will end up doing a rear brake job.

Now with that bearing pressed into the drum instead of having a separate hub, the easiest full brake job includes new drums with bearings. If someone was planning to keep the car, they probably wouldn't have to worry about any brake or bearing issues in the rear again.

Low Budget Quick Fix - try to get the drum off on the bad bearing side without much damage to the brakes, have a new bearing pressed in & reassemble. Probably could get away with that for now, depending on Luck, Skill, and how much actual wear on the car.

If it wasn't for the pressed in bearing design, replacing more than the bad one wouldn't be recommended - Unless a shop wanted to make money, or the car owner wanted a "belt & suspenders" job, just CHECKING the other would be adequate...

As amc commented, each new part CAN be a crap shoot these days....