Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Peace of mind oil change on the 2012
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 8,911, Level 63
Points: 8,911, Level: 63 Points: 8,911, Level: 63 Points: 8,911, Level: 63
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 69 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
"Reminders" on newer cars need to be reset after an oil change so they can start their calculations over, otherwise it just keeps counting from new (or the last reset).

They seem to do a good job, taking multiple factors into account such as total time, mileage, idle time, drive cycles etc..

"Severe Duty" as once defined in the manuals would result in a short interval, while average use stretches it out a bit. If you did mostly highway, and a lot of that in a short time, the miles B4 reminder would get scary to anyone used to short mileage changes.

Overall, now that the cars have the "brain power" to take more than just mileage into account, it's probably a GOOD feature. The original "reminders" that only considered mileage were better than nothing, however they were mostly ignored as well...

I know MINE get done more often than mileage alone would suggest, but overall time - short trips - and intermittent use play into my calculations, and like you I'd rather do it sooner than wait TOO long....