Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Rear Wheel Bearing: Replace Bad One or Both?
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 05:09 PM   #7
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 19 amc49 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Really. Not my experience at all. What I've seen, one goes bad, the other could last for years after. Of course that's normal sedate use, if you slip clutch and burnout everywhere, I'd lean heavily to changing both. I've never seen one simply give up instantly to strand you either, even the worst one I've seen (bad from the getgo after replacement) gave 2 months of growling before I fixed it. It started growling the next day after I installed it, no grease in bearing when taken apart. My view is, with present capabilities of manufacturers and mechanics taken into account, that you could be asking for a short lived one every time you change it. The quality of some bearings really sucks now and skills to put them in without wrecking part don't seem to be much better in many cases either. Look onsite here for all the DIYers who mess them up. Usually from simply not tightening them enough at the big nut.

I've got 3 cars right now that one corner has been done but not the other, they do just fine, last bearing change was a year ago on the most recent one. Next one like 3 years ago.