Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Rear Wheel Bearing: Replace Bad One or Both?
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 05:09 PM  
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 57 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
And all car owners want to know "how long can I drive it 'till it breaks completely"

Honest answer - "No Idea"

I've had ONE car that "ate" wheel bearings (and I think what were "stretched & poked" wheels & tires for the time had something to do with that).

Got so used to it when the first ones lasted hundreds of miles after getting noisy I wasn't concerned when one got noisy again....

Of COURSE that was the one time the bearing grenaded (close to home at least) and it had to be towed.

I honestly see an example by the roadside every week or two where the wheel "fell off", usually not completely, but enough to come to a screeching halt. More ball joints than wheel bearings from the evidence, but I always wonder why the people kept driving until it gave up completely.

Nothing to gain financially from recommendations here (obviously), just have a personal preference for fixing anything you KNOW is broken when possible. There's ALWAYS plenty that COULD go wrong you can't forsee, but with regular maint. & repair of KNOWN issues you seldom have major problems on the road....

(Some folks have better luck with Murphy's law than others...)

Cheers!