Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - 2013 engine "click click whir" (engine not running)
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #26
Rachael5982
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106348
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Rachael5982 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
New Focus - Same Noise

I am glad I found this thread as I am currently experiencing the same issue. I arrive at work at 8:45 am and when I go out to my car I open the door (without the fob) and there is a noise coming from the right side of the engine. It is a click, click, and then an electronic noise as if something is cycling on. I do not turn the car on. I then come back out to my car at 11am and back at 6pm and the same thing is happening. I walk away and it is every 20 sec. doing this as I walk away. I even had one co-work tell me he thinks I have an animal stuck under my hood because he pulled up beside my car and it was making this noise.
I decided to take it to the dealership to get an answer on what is going on. I couldn't replicate this for the life of me. As I just drove it on the highway there and it only happens when cool and sitting for a while. I put the key in the ignition (do not turn it) and this is the only way I can replicate the noise. The service rep. finally understood what I was talking about. He just assumed I was an idiot and it was the car cooling. He than kept having us put the key in and take it out. He then determined that it is coming from the Powertrain Control Module and the car is reading itself to be turned driven.
I explained to him that a car sitting for hours should not be reading itself to be driven, but what do I know this is new technology. He said that these are new cars with new technology and they do not fully understand them??? What how can you service a car you know nothing about??
I do have the lights set to auto and I am thinking that maybe this is the issue, I have not checked to see if it stops doing this if I turn the lights to off. You can replicate this noise by just putting your key in, have the hood open, and you can hear that it is coming from the black box (told the Powertrain Control Module) on the right of the engine.
I called another dealership today and was told it was not normal and now they want to see the car. I will be interested to hear what you all find out is the problem!!