Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 2013 5spd Clutch Question
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 11:42 PM   #1
miuzi05
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106045
What I Drive: 2013 Race Red SE Sedan 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 miuzi05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2013 5spd Clutch Question

I have a question for anybody more familiar with hydraulic clutches than myself. My last car, an old Civic, had a purely mechanical clutch, with no boost, and it had a very predictable feel (predictably worse than my Focus ). My new 2013 Focus, though, which I've had a little more than a month, obviously is hydraulic. I've noticed that, when I drive the car for an extended period of time on a highway, without shifting, when I do eventually shift, the clutch pedal is noticeably stiffer than usual. This is only the case on the first shift, though. It feels normal (lighter) on the second shift. My question is, is this normal with an hydraulic clutch? I've been assuming that the pressure changes (either rising or falling from normal) when the clutch pedal hasn't been depressed for a long period of time, like more than 30 minutes.

It's not something that's bothering me at all, I'm pretty much just curious. I absolutely love the clutch and transmission combo in the car. It's fun, and the spacing of the gears works beautifully for my driving habits. Such a positive feel.