Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - body shop said the airbags should have whent of
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #18
jdetzel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102548
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium Hatchback

Points 166, Level 3
Points: 166, Level: 3 Points: 166, Level: 3 Points: 166, Level: 3
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 jdetzel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendarus View Post
My understanding is the A Pillars in modern cars are a major part of the safety cage. If they are damaged it compromises the structure of the uni-body. At that point most insurance companies will total the car, because that kind of damage is not repairable.

I of course could be wrong. But that is my understanding.
You can repair almost anything if you spend enough money on it.

The "A" pillar which is actually the hinge pillar or windshield pillar, in the case of our cars it is referred to as the door opening frame are repaired or replaced all the time. The sub frame or crossmember assembly is a bolt in part that supports the transaxle and serves as a mounting point for the front suspension and steering. Agreed, what the body shop told the owner does not make sense.

In most cases an insurance company will total a car because the dollar amount to repair the damage exceeds a percentage (usually 70-80%) of the replacement cost of the vehicle. Insurance companies, as much as they may try, do not determine how a vehicle is repaired. Only how much money they will spend repairing it.