Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - How To: Reset TPMS with no learning tool
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #17
pozi240
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94835
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5 door SEL Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 4 pozi240 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
This didn't work on my aftermarket TPMS sensors... :-\ I wonder if they're broken or the wrong ones or something. They're definitely TPMS valves, though because the tires shop had to rebuild them or w/e (for free )
I thought that too, I just changed over to my winter rims today in the garage, and I didn't drive the car before attempting to "train" them... tried twice, no dice. So, I decided to go for a short drive (I remember before on my truck when the sensors didn't work on the winters, it took about 15-20km for the warning light to come on). So, after I came back from the drive (the warning light never turned on, since, the winter rim sensors "auto associated" with the car), I tried this procedure again, and voila! It worked, each sensor trained to BCM using this procedure, so now, at least the car knows which wheel is which, not that it really matters, since I will just get the typical "low pressure warning" if any of the 4 goes low. But, I have to say, its cool knowing you can do this without buying a tool. I think the reason it didn't work after swapping out rims is due to the fact that the car's BCM was still associating with the summer rims TPMS, so, I had to "force" it to read the "new" winter rims TPMS, and the easiest way to do that was to go for a drive on the new rims first. Kind of like unpairing an old cell phone and pairing the new one via BT.... LOL. This procedure also worked on my wife's Escape... cool.
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 (street)
2008 Kawasaki ZX10R (track only)