Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Lots of small problems with the car. Should i get rid? How many can I fix myself or cheaply
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
mdkmd5
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105882
What I Drive: 2001

FF Reputation: 1 mdkmd5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpmeeks View Post
IMO... it matter how much money you have into the car, and how long your planning on keeping it. If its just small issues and its still running and driving good overall then just tackle each problem one at a time. Tires, brakes, etc. are things that are gonna wear out. Steam from you "bonnet" sounds like the car is awfully hot under the hood. Make sure the exhaust cover is in place and most cars have a cover that bolts to the underside of the hood to protect it from heat.
I do plan to keep it a while. I like the car a lot - although I've already had to have a fuel pump replaced and serpentine belt + tensioner. So I'm in a few hundred already. The car drives good and has done for 5 months, its just all these squeaking and creaking sounds are annoying. I think they've mostly cropped up now that it's a lot colder.

I don't think the car is overheating at all, the radiator temp sits bang in the middle of the readout. The bonet is warm to the touch, but nothing "hot". Steam only shows when it's raining. When the car has been running for 20 minutes+ and you turn the engine off there is a bit of that "crackling" you get when metal cools down. Is this anything to worry about or is it completely normal?

As for the cover under the hood, there is none whatsoever. It's just all metal - is there one I could get cheap from the scrapyard?