Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 2012 Focus exploding sunroof on local news
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
apagios
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 40891
What I Drive: '03 ZX5 SVT, '05 Mazdaspeed Miata

FF Reputation: 3 apagios Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
While that really sucks and I feel for the poor girl, not surprising.

Only things that will ever get replaced by manufacturers are safety issues severe enough to risk injury or death. And even then there is an entire business to calculate risk and estimate the cost of doing a recall or just setting a couple cases out of court.

A Recall is the last resort of the OEM, they are very expensive and only "justified" if the calculated risk of NOT doing a recall exceeds the cost of a recall by a certain margin.

Things like faulty airbags, obvious recalls. But for instance faulty/poorly designed dual mass flywheels in SVTF's that fail at 45k miles? No body ever died from a clutch slipping, that gets a TSB, NOT a recall.

I am quite sure that in the case of sunroofs, it was decided to much cheaper to simply settle out of court on the very little chance of court cases, then to issue a recall and inspect/replace sunroofs. Unless there was a traceable "bad batch" of glass used, there's no real way to inspect invisible defects in the molecular structure of the glass anyway.

It really does suck for the consumer, almost no lawyer will take up that girls case as there's really no expected pay off. And it would cost her much more than $1300 to hire a lawyer and threaten lawsuits to get it replaced by Ford.