Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - IMPORTANT: ALL MK3 Focus Owners, I could use your input.
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 01:30 PM   #82
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92314
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 Lipshurt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hand-filer View Post
I think a better solution is to install the brace with the reinforcing plate. If there is indeed that much movement between the existing parts, a sheet metal screw isn't going to cut it. You need to address the structural weakness of the strut tower.
It's just that the brace and tower do not fit exactly together. If anything is weak, it's the brace. But the function of the brace is to reinforce the locations of the top of the struts. The brace is not stretching. It's just vibrating where there is space between the sheet metal. A simple gasket would do it. The machine screw won't have to hold anything structural. It wold simply stop the vibration. The same way wedging a credit card in there stops the vibration.

Fords reinforcing of the brace might even be soft material rather than a reinforcement. It kind of looks like a gasket. If they wanted it thicker and stronger, it would be way easier to just the whole brace thicker. Why graft on a second piece. That's another assembly step.