Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - This Prius can't even sell itself...
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #95
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98516
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda 3 SkyActiv 6A Touring

FF Reputation: 1 revhigh Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebontoft View Post
actually that would make sense then. they are so aerodynamic that any crosswind could have an effect on your mileage.
I will say that I've never noticed any effect that a cross wind has on my MPG, but who is to say that there's a crosswind unless it's so extreme as to actually buffet the car. My best MPG has been 56.7 on an all highway trip of about 250 miles going no faster than 70 MPH. My car has returned just shy of 48 MPG (47.7) overall for the for 40K miles (calculated). I track my mileage religiously as it's a hobby.

Prii drive under the same conditions as any other car, so I'd think that overall, due to it's extreme aerodynamics, that it would be affected less (percentage wise) than other less aerodynamic cars under the same conditions.

All I know is that it works for me. I drive around 525 miles before filling up, and then I take between 10 and 11 gallons. Pretty nice at the pump.

Detractors love to take their all-time-best-mileage (that they've gotten ONCE), and then compare it to the Prius's overall average combined mileage, but that's just not a realistic comparison. The combined mileage of our Foci is about 31 (some get FAR less based on the complaints here on the site) ... the combined mileage of a Prius is 50 .... that means the Prius is more than 1.5 times better OVERALL, which is the real world ... not cherry picking a mileage number of the best mileage that they've ever gotten, and then acting as if that is the average for their car, which is what most people do.

My wife gets 33.4 MPG overall with our manual Focus in about 60% highway, 30% rural, and 10% city driving ... exceptional in my opinion. The best I've ever gotten is 40.1 with the Focus on a 250 mile trip, but that was never going over 60 the whole way ... I just wanted to see what it was capable of.

The C-Max looks VERY promising IMO, but I'm going to wait for real-world mileage reports as well as reliability reports.

REV