Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - This Prius can't even sell itself...
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #93
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98516
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda 3 SkyActiv 6A Touring

FF Reputation: 1 revhigh Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebontoft View Post
have you heard this too or was it just a joke from someone? if you get a crossind you could lose that much MPG because they only designed it for a head wind?
No .... I've never heard about that, but I would think that a Prius would be affected about the same as any other car would be. One thing that the designers could count on and design for would be a 'headwind' as it cuts through the air.

The CoD (coefficient of drag) or a Prius is .28 ... lower than ANY OTHER production car, including cars like the Corvette and others like that. I know it's hard to believe, but it's true.

If you've ever been up close to a Nascar race car ... you'll notice how 'slab-sided' they are. They're squared off at all the corners as well, and the sides are almost vertical from the windows down (there are no silly swoopy 'ground effects' that do nothing but cause turbulence which slows a car down).

Now I know this may make some laugh, but the next time you're next to a 2010+ Prius ... take a look at the sides and the corners ... they are virtually identical to the current Nascar race cars. The aerodynamics of the Prius shape is so cutting edge it is unbelievable .... they HAVE to look like they do to be able to accomplish what they accomplish.

Here's a technical discussion of the aero design features of the Prius (which I'm sure nobody is real interested in, but I'll list the link anyway). LOL.

http://jalopnik.com/5128101/2010-toy...sign-dissected

REV