View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92484
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL 303A Focus

FF Reputation: 2 AZfocus2012 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I like the information found here. http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...k-in-a-new-car A lot here on this forum will disagree, but I find the article in line with my beliefs, especially the early initial oil change. He uses a 20, and then again at 1,000 mile oil change. I just shoot in between, drive it a few hundred average, easy, miles then change the oil, then drive it how ever you want. I just feel better knowing I have fresh clean oil in the car to finish breaking it in. Like he said there will be lots of tiny shiny stuff in the oil after only a few miles, I have seen it in the oil of every new car and motorcycle I have had over the last 25 years, that is like 4 cars and 7 motorcycles, all the same as far as what the oil looked like, some worse than others, but all had lots of tiny shiny stuff in there.

I am not saying you can't go to 7500 miles, or that anything bad will happen if you do. My peace of mind is worth way more than the cost of a single oil change, especially when compared to the cost of a brand new ST.