Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Another Battery Light question - varying voltage after pigtail replace
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #1
rodnig1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96558
What I Drive: 2002 grey zts

FF Reputation: 1 rodnig1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Another Battery Light question - varying voltage after pigtail replace

Read most of the posts related to the typical alternator/battery light problems. But I just wanted to put my issue out there as well, and get some additional feedback.

My focus is a 2002 ZTS with the 2.0 engine.

A few months ago, I had the battery light come on while driving home at night in the rain, but it went off after about 10 minutes. Its done it a couple more times since. Then, a couple weeks ago we had a major rain storm come though(Sandy, but all we got was rain and wind where I live). The battery light came on once again, and mostly stayed on(randomly going out for a minute at a time). It comes on after running for about 20 seconds. I am fairly mechanical, but decided that I didnít want to mess with replacing the 3 wire pigtail, and took it to the ford dealer right next to my house. I explained what I thought was needed, and they tested everything and agreed. $200 later they replaced the pigtail, and now the light is on all the time.

Last night I wanted to test the voltage, and discovered that the voltage at the battery is 14.3 unless I have the headlights on, then its down around 12.4. if I rev the engine up with the headlights on, it goes up to around 14.4. If im running it with the headlights off, and the heater on 3, then its around 13.4.

I am looking for clarity on this, as the car is going back to the dealer tomorrow and want to have a few opinions from some of you experts out there. I believe that they may have some of the wiring wrong on the pigtail, and thatís what could be causing this, or could it be the alternator or PCU??

Thanks in advance
Rodney