Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - This Prius can't even sell itself...
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 09:20 AM   #85
Malibooya
Quarter Tank Racer

Fan#: 68054
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 7 Malibooya Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pje65 View Post
-My Prius drove fine in the snow. It drove fine in the rain too. However, it was terrible after a drizzle. It wasn't a problem while you were driving along, but God help you at a Stop sign. There's one place on my way to work where I have to stop at the top of a hill at a pretty busy intersection. I live in NJ, so if there's a hole, you need to hit it with authority or wait a couple of minutes for the next hole. Because it was at the top of a hill, I had to accelerate a little more energetically to get over the top, then get through the intersection. If I tried this on a slightly slippery road, it would, as often as not, start lurching and sputtering as I helplessly tried to get across this intersection while cars were bearing down on me at 50 mph. So, here was my dilemma. Do I want to take my foot off the gas, let the car regroup, and try again, or do I try to limp along through the intersection and hope I make it to the other side? Which option will minimize the probability that I'll get broadsided before I reach the other side? It was ridiculous. I looked around at various Prius related sites, and the consensus seemed to be that the Gen II Prius had the worst traction control in the history of the world. It was designed to protect the engine/motor from damage resulting from excessive tire spinning. It seemed to be a lot less concerned about protecting the driver and passengers in the car. For the record, my sister-in-law in San Francisco has a Gen II Prius. A good friend in Colorado has one too. Neither has ever had the problems I experienced. However, neither one of those cars has traction control. So, I suspect that's what the problem was. I never had that issue at the same Stop sign with my Civic (the car I had before the Prius), my Focus, or even the clunky Corolla that I had to rent for a week last spring. At any rate, I decided in the spring that I wasn't going through another winter with that car. Perhaps my car simply had unusually bad traction control. However, Toyota didn't seem very concerned about the issues I was having when I brought them up. I didn't appreciate that.
I think it could have been the same (physical) brakes, or the entire system used on the Corolla of the time. My dad still has his 04 Corolla, he bought it with five miles on the ODO. Quote:

"This thing has had shit brakes since the day I bought it."

Nevermind that he still bought it, even though the brakes are garbage...he refused to consider a Civic at the time because it "sat too low." I digress.

The brakes in that car really are scary. The last time I drove it in the rain/on wet tarmac, the rear drums locked up when I braked around a corner at 30...not at all hard, mind you. Suffice it to say, it's scary when the rear kicks out on a very tight two-lane road at 6PM...

Otherwise? Fantastic little car. If my GM had a quarter of the problems it did, the Toyota would still have been twice as reliable.