suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 21 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by merkidemis View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I'll do some testing with weights to verify the sensor function before I have a passenger there. Still, how would adding a pad affect this any differently then if someone was wearing thick pants, like snow pants?

If the OEM heating element is embedded in the foam or laminated to it, then I could totally see how tampering could cause a problem.
The oem heating element is glued/ stuck on the seat foam underneath the cover and if you have to remove/ replace it it needs to be changed as a unit. Wearing thick pants only redistributes the weight slightly, not enough to make it not sense the passenger, but putting something electrical which may either interfere electronically, or physically to the sensor it might be an issue.

It might not be a bit deal, but the O.E. part is glued into place with the sensor embedded in the foam afaik. They say it had to be replaced as a unit if you were to disassemble it for testing (if it was determined that the seat base needed a replaced element. The driver side doesn't have the same stipulations as far as I recall.