Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - "Avoid like the Plague"(2002) -Carcomplaints.com
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #15
Tymes
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94124
What I Drive: 02 SE SOHC SPI

FF Reputation: 8 Tymes Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambleon84 View Post
To make yourself feel a little better, look under the hood.

This is the ticking time bomb that most wrote about:
2.0L SOHC SPlit Port Injection (SPI)

OH thank god, my SPI doesn't look nearly as clean as that, so I should be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
I have read horror stories about the MK1 Focus, but it related to stacks of recalls the car incurred during its growing pains period. I'm not at all familiar with stories of the engine committing suicide at 80K for no reason. Just about any modern engine can be good for 300K if it's well maintained and not abused.
How can you have 437 posts on this site, and never have heard of the SPI dropped valve issue?

To the OP, trust me you are not the only person around this forum to feel the way you did. You're just one of the lucky ones to find out you actually have the zetec engine. I didn't know about the SPI when I bought mine, but I have own several SOHC engine cars before, and loved that they were such strong engines, Opps. But hell, almost 3 years later she has 222270 kms and no real big issues so far. The timing tensioner seized up and broke the belt at 120 km/hr, and somehow didn't destroy the engine, the ford mechanic told me it was in fact an interference engine, and based on the situation, I should have looking for a new engine. So maybe I got one of the good ones. (fingers crossed)