Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - This Prius can't even sell itself...
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #67
pje65
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99262
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Focus SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 pje65 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
Definitely calling BS on that one. I have probably a dozen friends and customers who have a 2010+ Prius, whom I spoke to extensively about fuel mileage before buying my Focus. Every single one of them said mpg drops considerably once you go past 65mph, and at 80mph highway commute (yes I asked about this specifically since I was doing 120 miles a day at 80mph) the cars are only getting barely 40mpg. That's not much higher than my particular Focus, and some here have reported that high on their own cars.

Just like our cars are all over the place with mpgs, the Prius might be too if you are seeing 80mpg still at 80mph, but that is NOT common for those cars.

On the day I traded in my Prius, I had to drive about 50 miles up to the Ford dealer. I probably averaged 75 mph for most of the ride. When I got there, the computer said I'd averaged about 52 mpg for the whole ride. It was probably the most fuel efficient trip I ever made in it. On the other hand, my Focus seems to get about 37-38 mpg at around 70 - 75 mph. I'm very happy with that.