Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - This Prius can't even sell itself...
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #36
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98516
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda 3 SkyActiv 6A Touring

FF Reputation: 1 revhigh Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrigan View Post
Rev you seem to be quite the prius fan.

Sent from your mom's house.

I've had tremendous luck with Toyotas ... about 5 of them.

The Prius is the best car I've ever owned. Has nothing to do with being 'green' or anything else. I almost DIDN'T buy one just because of the perceived stigma that their owners have. It's a rock solid dependable car that has gotten 48 MPG average calculated in the first 40,000 miles with 4 oil changes and tire rotations being the only maintenance it's required.

Since I own BOTH .... a 2010 Prius AND a 2012 Focus ... I feel qualified to comment on them both ... unlike some who say totally off-the-wall things about them with no obvious knowledge of the car or the technology that it uses.

One thing I can tell you is that ergonomically, the Prius absolutely kills the Focus. It has FAR more room in it, and that room is about 3X easier to configure than the Focus. I can turn the Prius into a hatchback in about 3 seconds without removing a thing. With the Focus ... first you have to remove the rear headrests and stow them, then you have to move the front seats forward (which makes my drving position crushed), then you have to fold UP the rear seat bottom, then you have to fold DOWN the rear seat backs. After all that ... it's smaller than the Prius in the back (and so is the opening), and the PRius took 3 seconds to accomplish and allows me to have a normal driving position.

The C-Max is almost like the Prius from what I remember in terms of being easy to configure, and has about the same room.

Of course I'd rather actually DRIVE the Focus, but in terms of utility and overall duty, the Prius wins hands down. It was never intended to be a great handler like the Focus, but it's nowhere near as bad as some here would try to make you believe. It handles just fine and easily runs 80 on the highways.
It's actually quite comfortable on the highways which is where I spend a LOT of time. The 2010+ Prius is a totally different car than the pre 2010 models, same as the 2012+ Focus is a totally different car than the pre 2012 models.

They're BOTH great cars ... I just use the one that fits the purpose that I need at the time.

I do wish they'd resolve the suspension issue though ... it really takes away from what would otherwise be a really great car.

REV

Last edited by revhigh; 11-14-2012 at 04:13 PM.