Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Low MPG on new 2012 Titanium Hatch
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #88
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,155, Level 34
Points: 3,155, Level: 34 Points: 3,155, Level: 34 Points: 3,155, Level: 34
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra1969 View Post
Hey, wanted everyone to know with less then 20% city driving and no change to my normal weekly driving. With the temp outside dropping to 28 degrees(night) and 50 degrees(Days). I am now getting 23.8 mpg. No help from FORD Rep. or the dealership. I guess when it get down in the teen during the day I will be able to get better mileage out of my V-8, 5.4 liter F-150 then my freak'in Focus!
Hi Tra1969,

During winter months, drivers may experience lower fuel economy due to a number of factors:
  • More idling to warm up a vehicle
  • Low tire pressure - a 10 degree drop in ambient temperature equates to a 1 psi drop in tire pressure
  • Increased tire rolling resistance
  • Engine takes longer to reach maximum operating temperature
  • Lubricant viscosity of engine, transmission, and differential fluids affected
  • Gasoline formulations and additives to aid vaporization can reduce available energy
  • Higher electrical loads for lights, heaters, defrosters may increase draw on engine
  • Denser air when cold causes aerodynamic drag

To make sure you get the most out of the fuel in your car, there are five simple things you can do:

Maintain Proper Tire Inflation
Improve your gas mileage by around 3% by keeping your tires inflated to the proper pressure.

Use Recommended Grade of Oil
Improve your gas mileage by 1-2% by using the manufacturer's recommended grade of motor oil and with a synthetic blend to improve viscosity.

Keep Engine Properly Tuned
Fixing a car that is noticeably out of tune or has failed an emissions test can improve mileage by an average of 4%. Making sure your oxygen sensor is working properly can improve mileage by as much as 40%.

Change Air Filter
Replacing a clogged air filter improves your gas mileage by as much as 10%.

Perform Regular Maintenance
Improving the fuel economy of your vehicle starts with regular maintenance at your local Dealership. Following the maintenance schedule is an easy way to optimize your vehicle's fuel economy.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply