Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Rear end wander on icy roads
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 12:43 AM   #18
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 2,929, Level 33
Points: 2,929, Level: 33 Points: 2,929, Level: 33 Points: 2,929, Level: 33
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 48%
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%
FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The lawsuit is pretty funny, they should be suing for all years of Tempo and Contour which do the exact same thing, the rear squat from bushing sag throws tire alignments off. The tires then wear funky because they don't sit flat. Guess what, that is what independent rear suspension does, funny how they don't tell you that part while touting how great handling is when car is new. The major reason why I learned to hate working on Corvette drag cars.

I have to STRONGLY disagree with the guy who says to put all new tires on the back of FWD cars. There IS a difference between RWD and FWD, there is much more weight back there directly n the tire with the heavy rear end and more stability as a result. I put all new tires on my FWD front, to not do so is asking for all over the road at even as slow as 35 mph and trying to go straight in rain. I have corrected problems many times on other FWD cars doing just that. The rear will always be light, there is no weight back there, either in car overall or rear end weight proper.

Someone should pick up the engineering studies done on the old sixties Corvair at the time the million dollar lawsuits were going on, the cars were unstable due to suspension design but all car weight on ONE END of the car was a major contributor to the rear slide out problems this car was known for. FWD simply switches all that around to make same potential problem but up FRONT now, the inertia is all there now and on a quick roll into a curve in rain the front end can easily snap loose with braking to throw car outboard into a curb or other. Unlike the rear wishy washy issue which will warn you, the front end snap loose is sudden and unexpected when it happens. I'll take the better tires there ANY day.

Every FWD drive car I've driven greatly wears rear tires eccentric or egg shaped, again, no weight back there to dampen oscillation does that, the tires get slightly out of round and then begin to bounce thus making them get even more out of round. Alignment or new tire has no effect on that phenomenon at all. In short, new tires put back there do not live as long as tires put up front new do. The front has enough weight to dampen that oscillation, the tires wear much more evenly up front. Take the rear tires worn out of round and put them on the front and the car becomes absolutely undriveable. The steering wheel will shake you to death. Yet take the front ones and put them on the back with same mileage and car drives usually fine.

Ice???? You people are killing me. Anyone with common sense knows there is a point at which certain icy road conditions can make a car wishy washy in the back end with even brand new car and under 25 mph. The answer is called 'slow down'......................you are driving 'too fast for conditions' as any police officer will be happy to point out.