Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Replace master cylinder clutch
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #104
bboyjamin
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103696
What I Drive: 2007 2.0L

FF Reputation: 1 bboyjamin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
This post is about my experience with the mityvac for bleeding, manual bleeding, and grinding noises during shifting.

On my 2007 2.0 Duratec, the clutch bleeder could be reached by removing the intake air resonator.

I tried using the ford recommended procedure of reverse bleeding by pumping 100ml of fluid into the clutch bleed nipple. For this task I bought the Mityvac MV8500. You switch it to pressure mode and start pumping, but under pressure the tubes keep popping off of the tool. Maybe I just don't know how to use it right. Oh well, I'll save that tool for another day.

Back to manual bleeding. On the first attempt, 1000 pedal strokes and no pedal pressure built up. Some of the old fluid bled out however.

I came back the next day and it had gotten a lot better overnight. Another round of manual bleeding and the fluid coming out looked good, and the pedal felt good.

If I were doing the CMC replacement again, I'd look into bench bleeding it first. It might be a way to save some time.

Time to test gear shifting! The car was still on jacks. Started the engine and I could move the shifter through all gears. But when I tried to disengage the clutch i heard a grind. This had me worried but a friend thought it might be the cv joint grinding because it was jacked up. I lowered the vehicle and the noise was gone. I don't quite get it, but the car passed the test drive, so I guess he was right.

Thanks for all the great posts everyone, this thread helped a ton.