Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - car shopping(new member)
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

Points 2,441, Level 29
Points: 2,441, Level: 29 Points: 2,441, Level: 29 Points: 2,441, Level: 29
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 3 cbdallas Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
If I'm to be honest, as much as I like my car, I'm not entirely sure I could recommend a Focus to anyone until Ford has implemented an actual remedy (as opposed to a Band-Aid) for the grinding issue some people are experiencing. It appears they've addressed the clutch issues (between better programming and non-leaking transmission input shaft seals), but if memory serves, there is at least one person on this board who lawyered up and got Ford to buy his Focus back because of the unresolved issues with his transmission. I realize that's only one car, but there are plenty of others here and on YouTube that have some pretty nasty noises coming out of their transmissions. From what I can gather, this issue starts around 12,000 miles. Since mine only has 2,000, I await this issue with great anticipation. NOT.

This is unfortunate because other than this fly in the ointment, I really like this car. I love the way it looks, it handles as well as anything I've ever owned (with the exception of my Mazdaspeed6) and it seems to be made of pretty high-end materials where the interior is concerned. There is a chance mine will never develop a leak, or a grind, but I just don't have enough miles on it to know that yet.

What you should prepare yourself for if you buy one is that DCT, under the best of circumstances will not behave like a traditional automatic. There are certain situations where it seems like it doesn't know exactly what to do, such as slowing down, and accelerating immediately afterward...or driving very slowly through parking lots. Most people don't get that right even when driving car with a manual transmission, and since this is basically an automated manual, you can see where a computer and a few actuators might misjudge certain situations. This behavior is deemed normal. But lurching, leaking and grinding aren't normal, and until Ford acknowledges that and comes up with some real fixes, the best advice I can give is to proceed with caution.