Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Thougts on NAPA water pump and Thermostat housing?
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
G Ford Fan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 80771
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Focus Wagon, SE, Silver.

FF Reputation: 0 G Ford Fan Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thougts on NAPA water pump and Thermostat housing?

Hey y'all.

I noticed the other day that the water pump on my 2000 Focus Ztec started leaking (I'm pretty sure it's just the pump and not the housing thankfully as I understand you have to remove the timing belt to replace/change the housing.

I also noticed that the plastic thermostat housing is leaking some too. I think it's just the gasket for the Thermostat and not the housing itself, but I figure at nearly 13 years old I should consider changing the housing anyway. I had the thermostat out 2 yrs ago to flush the cooling system.

I got prices from ford of $105 for a new water pump, $53 for the housing, 8 for the thermostat gasket and I think it was 12 for the themostat, so around the $200 range.

NAPA has a new water pump for $56, and has a housing, thermostat, gasket assembly for $61.00, so about $20 or so cheaper.

Does anyone have any experience with the NAPA parts? Also the closest ford dealer is on the other side of town for me. Should I go with them or just pony up for the FoMoCo parts?

I feel NAPA's parts are typically better than what you get at Autozone or Adance Auto. I'm leaning toward the NAPA stuff, unless someone has had experience with their parts for these applications.\

Also, any tips on changing the water pump and housing would be appreciated as well.

Thanks for any help that can be offered,
Greg