Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Trans flush/filter change Worth the effort to DIY?
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #30
loki993
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82968
What I Drive: 13 Red SE 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 loki993 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I got it done. I Unscrewed the fitting going into the trans they the cooler line hooked to like elsolo said to. Much easier then messing with that connector and possibly breaking it. It was a little tedious because there isn't much room under here but it wasn't to bad.

I pulled to line off and ran the car a bit, went through the gears, turned it off and did it all again. Got 3 maybe 3 and a half quarts that way.

The hardest part was actually getting the pan off, that RTV they had on there stuck pretty good and the plastic putty knife I bought just couldn't get in there. I ended up having to cheat a bit and I used a screwdriver to pop it off. I had to pry at it a bit until I could finally get my fingers under there and pull it off. Grrr as hard as I tried to keep cardboard and drip pans down I got some fluid on the driveway. I must have drained the car good running it because I got maybe a quart out of the pan, not much at all.

The rest was pretty straight forward. I probably spent an hour probably even longer running the car and bringing up the fluid level because I was afraid to overfill it. It took all the 10 quarts I bought plus a half I had to get from autozone, so I definitely ran enough through the trans to flush out all the old.