Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Help my Focus handle
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #10
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing MemberGeezer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
1) You really have to have a baseline to start from and that's knowing the simple things like your current spring rates, sway bar diameters etc. It's hard to recommend anything if one doesn't know how what might be suggested stacks up to what you have.

2) Ride quality and handling rarely go hand in hand. One persons ride tolerance will be, in most cases, quite different than someone else's. Butt-o-meters very significantly. Not knowing you tolerance level makes it harder to make recommendations as well. In general, low spring rates result in better ride quality and high spring rates offer better handling. For the street there are some practical limitations as road conditions can turn a stiffly sprung track carver into an uncontrollable menace on the street.

3) Based on your initial comments, I'm guessing you're unhappy with either the ride quality or the handling of your current setup. Can you be more specific of what you like and dislike with your current set-up?

4) Suspension setup, especially for a street driven car, is a series of compromises. There is not a perfect suspension out there be it expensive coilovers or whatever. You need to establish your desires/criteria in order of importance and be willing to compromise on those on the bottom of the list. If your list has only two requirements on it (say handling then ride quality or the reverse), addressing the first criteria will mean the second will have to be compromised.