Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Ridiculous fuel mileage
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #23
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
True - and probably true of any car. I managed 35.2 mpg on my recent trip home from the airport. However, the displayed average never even reached the 20 mark until after I cleared the surface streets and had logged ten miles or so of highway driving.

Once on the highway, my average climbed steadily until it settled into a more or less steady state near 35. I was purposely driving for mileage on that trip - keeping my speed down, accelerating slowly, trying not to vary my speed much.
This car is a really good candidate for an auto start-stop system that turns off the engine when the car is stopped to save fuel. If we can believe the MPG display, just going through a drive through to grab a coffee for a few minutes can drop that MPG quite a bit. The same applies for stop signs and red traffic lights and the accompanying acceleration back to speed. On the highway mine is great, if I reset my MPG meter as I enter a freeway and then proceed at 65-70 MPH I can generally get 40-43 MPG if there's no serious wind, rain, snow or uphills. On the other hand when called upon for power, the direct injection fuel system can supply a healthy amount of gas to the engine too which drops your MPGs like crazy.