Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - setup/compatability/tire question
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 11,120, Level 69
Points: 11,120, Level: 69 Points: 11,120, Level: 69 Points: 11,120, Level: 69
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 76 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The Std. tire size to fit is 215/45-17. That was std for the SVT and works with no speedometer error due to changing sizes.

My '04 Sedan runs stock SVT wheels from that year, with the SVT suspension kit (version I got was the one with assembled front struts, rear springs & shocks, no replacement sway bar). The ride & handling are great IMHO, and I would suggest using a MATCHED set of springs & shocks for best results.

NO clearance issues, exact speedo readings (checked with GPS), sporty & comfortable ride (NOT harsh like the wife's STOCK Civic), overall a great, fun, useable setup.

Tire choice is personal, and depends on intended use & preferences. Tire Rack has great ratings & reviews, spending time looking at the options there will steer you to something YOU will like. I used the Dunlop Sport Max summer tires, German manufacture & 1 step short of an "Autocross" tire but still "trackable" from the reviews with GOOD wet weather capability (I wanted max street performance with track or autocross possible if the opportunity presented itself)

Stock rims with winter tires would be the best answer IMHO, since the 17's, even with "all Seasons" mounted wouldn't be too good for winter. That said, I DID use it a few times in the snow with the summer tires, but needed to drive accordingly!

To summarize, the setup you are considering is considered the best 'bang for the buck" you can get to improve the car's handling performance - turns it into a real sports car from a good handling economy car.

luck!