Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Anybody done an E85 conversion?
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #20
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 50,975, Level 100
Points: 50,975, Level: 100 Points: 50,975, Level: 100 Points: 50,975, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Did you see the part where I had the octane tested and it was never above 95.? NEVER , 3 times 3 diff stations over time

I left out the part about the sticky build up in the top of the injectors over time , the black build up on the valves etc

"Note how the pump octane number [(MON+RON)/2] flattens out to about 96." that is a quote from the last test on e85 I read

You like a lot of others seem to be missing how/why e85 does what it does and it IS NOT the octane its latent heat of vaporization which is simply a measure of how much energy per unit mass it takes to change the phase (e85) from a liquid to a gas, this change pulls heat energy out of the air dropping its temperature , meaning it takes the heat out of the air and lowers the chance of knock
Sure a higher octane would help but in most cases its barely much higher then 93 , cooler are means more timing and in most cases means more power , to the point the octane does drop because of crap fuel mixed with ,then BOOM

Another fun fact is e85 has no octane rating sense only gasoline contains iso-octane all octane test are set up for gasoline , makes you go hmmmmmm ?????

And I could go on and on

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus