Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Anybody done an E85 conversion?
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #19
enginjoe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105845
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 enginjoe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
What about no regulations on the octane where one time it MIGHT be 90-91 and the next time 94
Kinda sucks for the guy tuned for 96 and gets a batch of 91

I have had e85 tested a few times for octane an no one time was it even 100

Bad MPG
Harder starting in cold weather
unregulated octane
should change oil more often
Yes it cost less but you use more

Its funny I hear from people how e85 reduces green house effects by 13% , then when you ask how it gets taken from the feilds and how its planted and they say Diesel tractor which puts out 50% more green house effects then a gas engine , then you have to use a lot of electricity to make the e85 and in most cases that uses coal and uses more natural recources so where is the savings ???? then on top of that you should change the oil more often so you make even more polution , In the end you end up make more polution then you save

So... where the savings ... what good does it do to run it ??? I havent found an upside yet but a LOT of down side

Tom
Haha at octane of low 90s with E85 or even E70. The fact is, 100octane fuel is 7.20/gal and E85 is 3.50. You use more but not twice as much.

Who cares about greenhouse effects, that's just plain dumb junk science right there.

As for oil changes, what performance car guy doesn't change his own oil very often.