Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Anybody done an E85 conversion?
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #18
enginjoe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105845
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 enginjoe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmemoreboost View Post
I don't like e85 because its not regulated like race gas. So you get a 100 octane equivalent and tune with that and the the next tank is 87 equivalent, shit will break. Plenty of people run high hp on pump 93 octane and race gas. 1000whp supras are a perfect example. And the 700whp s2k on c16. As long as those fuels are available I won't touch e85.
The bold is not true at all. You might get 85 one time or 70 the next, but the octane is never under 100. If you are DD'ing, you don't tune for the edge and it works fine. Think about it this way, if you tune for E85 and you get E70, you will just be a little rich at WOT. The car will automatically trim that out in idle and cruise.

C16 is many times more expensive, so for a DD, it is not worth it. I don't think we are talking about that here.

93 octane gas is good, and if it is available, it gives you most of the performance of E85 in a cold environment as well as not requiring special mods or tuning. Unfortunately, many people don't have access to 93...