Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - turbo on stock internals
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 11:28 PM   #10
paulg127
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55998
What I Drive: 2003 Black SVT

Points 2,944, Level 33
Points: 2,944, Level: 33 Points: 2,944, Level: 33 Points: 2,944, Level: 33
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 paulg127 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I agree. BUY A KIT!! I did the ebay turbo with a GT2871 ($375) and 'ramhorn' $250 manifold, $100 intercooler and $125 piping kit. No downpipe would fit, bought 3 different 5-bolt downpipes to cut and fit. Spent $250 on a techshop membership, $150 on classes for TIG welding, a $300 mig welder, $150 Co2 tank, and probably over $500 more on odds and ends to make it work...not to mention the waterjet cut flange for the down-pipe to catalyst and the 2.75" stainless that I had to weld up to get the exhaust into the cat. Of course the turbo barely fit, but the turbo exhaust outlet was 2.75" away from the AC compressor. Not too easy to make a good flowing bend in that space, so I don't have AC until I can fab up another downpipe this winter...
Trust me. Get the kit! You will save yourself a world of misery. I did a quick add and have ~2500+ without the injectors or boost control, not to mention any gauges of AF meter, oil pan drain, oil feeds, etc...
The kit is cheap given the piece cost and headache, and you get a much better turbo (usually), and maybe even a waranty. If you can get the tuning with the kit, from someone who knows how to tune (Tom) you will save yourself a motor too.
I can say that once you get the turbo installed and tuned, you will not believe how the car can transform into an amazing vehicle! It is very impressive what 7psi of boost will do!! I am a bit surprised that the turbo is still up and running strong after ~1500 miles. I have the boost up to ~9psi and it seems like it is holding up well...so far... I plan on getting a garrett gtx2867 soon as a replacement that I sure I will need soon...but if I went with a good turbo from a kit in the beginning....