Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Brakes overheating?
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #5
Nathan89
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104916
What I Drive: 2004 Gunsmoke Grey Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Nathan89 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
Elizabeth brings up a good point regarding the caliper pins. When you installed the new calipers you did grease them...right? I ask because if you didn't, the calipers may not be releasing which causes the pads to drag on the rotors and results in extra and unneeded heat generation (not to mention premature wear and potential glazing of the rotor). A simple test would be after driving the car for awhile is to go out and touch the wheel in several different places immediately after parking the car. It should not be excessively warm. If it is the odds are good the pads are dragging on the rotors.
Yes, I did grease the pins as well as the pistons. There is a generous amount of warmth coming from the brakes after a decent drive, granted most of the roads in my area have high speed limits and require a lot of braking for the 1 million and 1 lights and stop signs and out of state drivers :P I'll get the tires off, clean the system and see whats going on as far as alignment and the calipers efficiency, perhaps all they need is to be regreased. Thanks!