Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Brakes overheating?
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #3
Nathan89
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104916
What I Drive: 2004 Gunsmoke Grey Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Nathan89 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
Anytime high humidity or slight rain or mist will start the rotors to rust.
Anytime the car sits for awhile.
If you drive and the rotors get cleaned off.
Then I would say no problem.
As for prior owner. 59K is more than enough to wear out the pads totally. Once worn, the driver would be having to stomp on the brakes hard to stop, heating up the rotors way more.
So IMO not to worry. If you current brakes are good (aside from the common surface rust) good to go.
No other permanent damge is caused by totally worn out brakes. So replacing the pads and rotors should be fine.
Also the calipers may have had some (red) dust on them, and it got into the pads and onto the calipers.
I really would not be worried.
If you are worried. Buy some 'brake clean' and taking the wheels off. spray the calipers and rotors. (the only problem with this is do not spray the caliper pin area .. the grease on them is needed!!)

Thanks Elizabeth for the reply, I did actually replace the calipers as well so in 3 weeks they have turned almost completely red. My concern about the mileage was more in regards to brake fluid corruption, from my understanding at 59k the brake fluid should still be reasonably usable? I did consider that perhaps the metal on metal from both inside and outside pads caused the overheating of the entire system and corrupted the brake fluid much faster than normal.