Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Rear Brake Kit upgrade kits
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 08:54 AM   #3
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTA View Post
Hey was looking to upgrade my rear drums to disc brakes, cant really find anything online anywheres, anyone know where I can get the upgrade kit?

I have an 03 ZX3 Duratec

Unfortunately Ford Parts quit supplying the SVT rear brake kit and the so called rally kit (slightly smaller than the SVT rotors). These were the two most common replacement kits. The other common option was to find those from Foci's equipped with advance trac (Anti-lock system) in a junk yard. You can get most of the needed parts "piece meal" but the resulting overall cost would be very high doing it that way.

There are several big brake kits available from major performance suppliers but these tend to be quite pricey and require improving the front brakes to maintain the proper brake bias. A bigger brake on the rear alone can cause it to prematurely lock-up before the front (less weight back there) which is bad for handling and control.