Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Can't figure this out to save my life. Literally.
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
walker_741
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104411
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 walker_741 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Can't figure this out to save my life. Literally.

Ok I am new to the forum and have looked high and low throughout it to try and find an answer but I can't. I would appreciate any help as my next step is to junk the car and by a new one, not ideal since I can't really afford the new Focus I want.

I have a 01 ZX3 Zetec DOHC Automatic and since I bought the car two years ago it has had an idle problem that came and went randomly. If this helps at all when I bought the car the airbags had gone off which made the fuel pump cut off, all I did was hit the button and it reset. The car ran fine while under power and fine while at idle expect once in a while. I scanned the CL on car when I first bought it and it gave me P0171 System lean bank 1. Recently the car has become impossible to drive.

Here is a list of parts I have replaced: MAF, Spark Plugs (twice), Plug Wires, IAC, EGR Valve, EGR Valve Solenoid, Motor Mounts and Fuel Filter. I have also checked every vacuum hose on the car and there are no leaks and the hoses are not collapsing. After replacing all of this the rpms race, it accelerates by itself, and stumbles while I am driving. This makes it hard to stop since the rpms are not dropping as they should.

Now for the weird part of this all. One night as I was driving home I hit my brights and the car stumbled and jerked. I tried it again and the same thing happened. It stumbles pretty much whenever I turn on anything electrical in the car. Now yesterday coming home I went to pass a car and while in the throttle (going 40 mph) the car started to stumble and sputter.

I have begun checking the CPS and am wondering if this could lead to this at all or not. If so I have found that with the ignition on there is no power to the CPS connector and the CPS itself is at 401 Ohms. Could anyone possible tell me if this is correct or not.

I don't want to keep throwing money into it and not have the problem get any better but I would love to have my car back. Maybe I'm just not the mechanic I thought I was or something that I haven't checked is wrong.