View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 01:09 AM   #2
Supernaut
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85958
What I Drive: '99 Kawasaki Ninja EX500

FF Reputation: 1 Supernaut Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
You could just put snow tires on the front. Now some will say that is dangerous because the back can lose grip and lose control. One has to remember that kind of advice is probably out there because the average person's response to a sliding car is probably to slam the brakes, close their eyes, and hope for the best.

If you can walk and chew bubble gum (so to speak) I don't think that would cause a situation too dangerous if you are driving in a safe manner to start with. I'm a huge advocate of winter tires and like to show up those who think all season are the only way to go. When you can go through snow deep enough to create a bit of a snow plow effect and keep going the nay sayers pretty well have no more ammo to argue with.

One thing to know about winter tires. Depending on tread design some are designed more for snow and others appear to be almost purely for ice traction. I use Goodyear Nordic winter tires (on all 4 wheels) which leave a tread pattern that reminds me of a tank track and allow me to piss off some truck guys when they see me pass through something they're stuck in. Love it, and they work great.