Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - new to me '02 ZX3 - normal problems?
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #10
Planner
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105588
What I Drive: 2002 Grabber Green ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Planner Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambleon84 View Post
The rear engine/transmission mount is known around here as the dog bone mount, that will be your best bet for tightening up shifts. Many companies sell a version that use stiffer polly bushings.

As for the front stress/strut bar, I'd move that to lower on you list.. It makes very little difference to daily driving, our front strut towers are tied in nicely to the firewall and dont have too much movement. Leave that for down the road, same for the rear stress bar (although that one is slightly more beneficial.) Best gainers in real handling help will be new struts/shocks and stiffer springs , and what you linked to will be a great $/performance gainer (especially sicne the stock suspension has 80k+ miles on it.) Getting those Sparco wheels and some sticky rubber will also be a great addition. I'd also double check to see if your model came with a rear sway bar, crazy as it sounds some models didnt include one.
CFM 'dog bone' is on the list.

My Subaru is a manual tranny as well, so when I drive the Focus, the slop in the stick is appalling. You can find polyurethane bushings for every pivot point on the Subi 5MT, does the replace,ends not exist for the focus?

Tracking the dog bone will help firm up the driveline making shifts better (Subi has the same thing, just higher up called a pitch stop), but it won't do away with the sloppiness in the shifter.