Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Optimal Braking Performance from Stock Brakes
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #13
wrc_fan
slow

Fan#: 11913
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 Duratec 08 WRX Hatch

Points 3,547, Level 37
Points: 3,547, Level: 37 Points: 3,547, Level: 37 Points: 3,547, Level: 37
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 23 wrc_fan Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I’m going to chime back in for fun with some more of my opinions, supported only by me driving around really fast in parking lots for that past 4 years.

I’ll agree that the focus rotor is on the limit of thermal sizing for continual hard braking use. Half way through the tail of the dragon, and I get the high spot drag that AMC mentions above. I also remember on my old car with stock brakes, I got to the point where I could lock up the front tires (non-abs) car with sticky autox tires. Given the price (pretty reasonable IMO) of focus front rotors, I don’t see a reason to turn the rotors again with new pads, but that’s just me.

As for doing your own brakes, it’s a doable job, I follow geezer’s advice of keeping everything nice and clean. It’s just easier. Everyone should own two cans of brakeclean! Apparently there is some super-secret method of getting oil out of brake pads, guess we’ll never know….

Oh, and all the silliness that goes along with drum brakes, takes some time to figure it out. For replacing, you must only do one side at a time! Your FLAPS (friendly local auto parts store) will sell a “hardware kit” that has all the springs needed to rebuild the brake assembly, I got one for my autox car, fixed a shoe that was dragging in the rear. (FYI I use the Centric drums and shoes in the rear on the autox car and they are acceptable) You may or may not need this, depends on age, condition, etc. Still, doing the brakes on the focus is a DIY job… but… it is a safety critical feature, so you want to be confident with your skills.

"Hella Functional - Raced, Not Hard Parked"