Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Optimal Braking Performance from Stock Brakes
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 02:11 PM   #11
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmakc View Post
So essentially, I should have already changed my brake fluid. How does one bleed the brake(s) fluid?

In your previous post you recommended two other brands for shoes and pads - which combination would be better vs Centric?

So the SS lines would definitely feel different but more or less the same modulation would be required over time?

If you've never had the experience of bleeding your brakes you might want to hold off doing a brake job yourself. Brake bleeding is not complicated but it has to be done precisely to make sure that no air is left in the system. It is a safety issue afterall and no lace for screw ups. I believe there are some "how to's" in the New Member Read First section at the top of this page. If, however, you are going to do a brake job, it makes no sense to bleed the brakes before doing so. It should be the last thing done after the brake job is completed.

The two pad/shoe alternatives I recommended are for performance street use. They're good for street use, autocrossing, and limited lapping sessions. They're the only performance matched front/rear sets (using the same high performance compounds) I'm aware off. The Centric pads and shoes would be best for a daily driver (no motorsports, limited aggressive driving, etc.). There also a lot of other pad/shoe combinations available for daily drivers where high performance use is not a concern.

With regards to you statement about SS lines you are correct. As with anything, they feel different and some people like them, some will not. If other people frequently drive your car you may just want to go with new OE lines as they will be less intimidating to others. As I said, they do take some getting used to, it just takes some time.