Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Optimal Braking Performance from Stock Brakes
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
karmakc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78622
What I Drive: 2004 Ag ZX3 D23E MTX

Points 1,958, Level 26
Points: 1,958, Level: 26 Points: 1,958, Level: 26 Points: 1,958, Level: 26
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 1 karmakc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
The stock drum/rotor setup can be improved upon to work almost as good as a four corner disc one does. Both Mintex (AF's) and Porterfield (R4S) make a matching performance pad and shoe combo for most Foci. Naturally, these should be used with fresh rotors and drums. The most popular (and usually affordable) drums and rotors tend to be Centrics although there are others. Always use a fresh fluid (I like Castrol LMA or Valvoline Synthetic for their low moisture absorbing and temperature properties). A set of stainless braided lines (or new stock replacement hoses) will improve and/or restore pedal feel. And remember, tires are what stop a car. All the braking power in the world doesn't mean squat if you don't have good tires.
Thanks Geezer, I've got great tires on and I'm only investigating what I'd need to do. I remember when most tuner houses upgraded the brakes but one said it wasn't required - Saleen N2o?

How does one know when it's time to change the brakes anyway? I get the feeling that the car is taking longer distances to brake but that is only a feeling and could be due to slightly harder driving.

As I have never done a brake job, how hard is it to do? And the pads/shoes would replace the centric stuff? Where is a good place to buy them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue5ive View Post
If you don't want to upgrade the size then get the rotors turned so they are nice and smooth with no more grooves/scratches. That's if they have enough thickness left for that. Otherwise new replacement stock rotors would be needed. Then get you some new pads. Same thing for the rear. You could add stainless steel brake lines for $100 to replace the stock rubber ones. Can really help with firmer peddle feel.
Would stainless steel brake lines really make that much of a difference? Why?
Hatch Nation #135
Blazin' the Twisties #90