Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Optimal Braking Performance from Stock Brakes
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
Blue5ive
R.I.P Kona

Fan#: 83941
What I Drive: 2003 TW Blue ZX5

FF Reputation: 9 Blue5ive Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Wow high performance motorcycles. Know 3 that race professionally that would kinda argue that point. As well as several in autocross and nascar. Don't know of a single person in motorsports that would advocate worn pads and rotors over new. I mentioned resurfacing the rotors/drums and new pads cuz he said the car had 60k and probably no work done.

Your reference to what you did on your svt is not the correct way to bed in new pads exactly. Should never run up to speeds that high and hit the brakes to bed in the pads. Lower speeds like you those on the freeway are more appropriate. And pads depending on brand and material will not always burn off the crud as you said. Sometimes they will glaze over and become slick. Just stating a possibility. A new pad and rotor will perform better than old ones. Has alot to do with heat dissipation and even brake force. Yes some places may try to make money off you when its not totally needed. But he asked to get the most out of stock components without doing a brake swap. What you said realistically addressed nothing. And yes as she mentioned tire shine everywhere don't get it on the rotors or pads cuz it will reduce braking on your first stop. After that it is burnt off.

Do what you want. Only got 43 year of driving experience, 6 years of racing and 2 family members with a combined 22 years pro racing experience. Coulda typed alot more and got into real detail but not going to. Best of luck.
Hatch Nation #9
"2 by 2 Hands of Blue."