Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Optimal Braking Performance from Stock Brakes
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 07:13 AM   #3
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Sorry, My experience with high performance motorcycles show ME (anyway) that smooth rotors do not mean squat.
The grooves in the rotors match the grooves in the brake pads perfectly, and the brakes. grooves or not work just as well.
Same thing for replacing pads, no need to do ANYTHING to a grooved rotor. The brake pads will set to the rotors in a hundred miles.
Some 'experts' excoriate me for this comment, who cares. I know what actually works. I guess mechanics just like the extra money they make on 'fixing' rotors. The ONLY needed thing is rotors should be replaced once they are below the minumum thickness or if they have cracks

Then avoid tire shine like the evil plague it is. Get ANY of that on your brake rotors and the stuff will get into the pads.. If you use a LOT of tire shine, you will basically ruin the pads.
So use tire shine very sparingly, and never spray it directly on tires. Spray it on a cloth to rub on tires, so no overspray get on the rotors.

Then if your brakes are 'dirty' a few high speed stops will clean off the pads.
My favorite activity was to run my SVT up to 130 (on a track) or so and hit the brakes hard. Usually the first time the brakes would start to fade due to gassing stuff off the pads.. After a few runs the fade would disappear. Then my brakes would just work well for months. All the crap had been burned off the pads. Even freeway speeds (with no one else around to endanger) and hit the brakes hard and hold them, slowing from 70 to 30 or so will heat up the brakes and clean off the crud. As I wrote, ususally the first time the brakes will fade fast. that is natural as the gas off the oil and dirt is created. a few times and the brakes will respond much better.. for months/year.

This is 48 years of driving experience.