Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Optimal Braking Performance from Stock Brakes
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 04:11 AM   #1
karmakc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78622
What I Drive: 2004 Ag ZX3 D23E MTX

FF Reputation: 1 karmakc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Optimal Braking Performance from Stock Brakes

Hi,

A lot of the posts on the forum about brakes revolve around swapping drums for disc brakes at the back and/or going big or going home for the front brakes...

I have a different question - my car doesn't make big power and while I like, sorry LOVE, the brakes on an SVTF - I can't see myself spending tons of money for used brakes and then upgrading wheels and tires for the same purpose. Okay, ST rears would be pretty neat too, but where am I gonna find those things?

Instead, I'd like to set out to optimize my current/stock brakes.

My car is fast approaching 60k miles and front brake rotors still have life in them however they do have significant scratches/scarring on the surface of the rotors. Also, the rear drums still do their work.

I purchased my ride at 40k and 20k miles later, I would like to do a "fix it before it's broke" type thing. Considering the car's previous owner did not keep the most in-depth records of services - I have no way of knowing what has happened with the car wrt brakes.

So - let me hear from you - the town elders, the experts, the naysayers and everyone else on how to optimize the brakes for the best braking performance without upgrading the size of the rotors AND/OR installing a rear disc brake kit.

My car:
2004 D23e MTX
"FRPP kit" = progressive rate springs from ford racing + SVT dampers
K&N FIPK II = love the growl
CFM lower engine mount = never torqued it, still a little play from engine
HID Euro headlights = "I can see clearly now the rain has stopped..."
Autolite 103's (I don't think these are even working any better...)
16" SES wheels shod with Continental DW tires = <3
Blaupunkt :)

And what matters to this post the most:
Stock front discs and stock rear drums

Hatch Nation #135
Blazin' the Twisties #90