Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Cleaning VERY Dirty Wheels (Stored Outside)
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

FF Reputation: 11 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Cleaning VERY Dirty Wheels (Stored Outside)

Picked up some cheap alloy wheels to use for winter. They are VERY gross looking, especially inside. I want to get them reasonably clean, so they can be plasti-dipped.

First, the surface where the wheel mates with the rotor is very rusted. I'm assuming this should be relatively clean and level, correct? How can I get that rust off without damaging the surface of the wheel? I don't know if all the rust is from the car they came off of (it looks like actual rust, not aluminum corrosion, although a bit of that, too) or something else, but it's considerable.

After that, there's a lot of grease, tar, and what appears to be fix-a-flat everywhere else. I got most of it off of one wheel, although the mating surface is still pretty gross, and it took me a couple hours to get it clean (dish detergent + scotch brite pad). These are winter wheels, and are going to be covered in plastidip anyways, so I'm not concerned about ruining the finish...I just want a quicker solution that gets them looking decent.

Hatch Nation #29