Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Fog Light Installation - S Model (with Pics)
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #70
Chaddz3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96992
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S Ingot Silver

Points 1,795, Level 24
Points: 1,795, Level: 24 Points: 1,795, Level: 24 Points: 1,795, Level: 24
Level Up 95% Completed
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 17 Chaddz3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger-Heli View Post
Errrm - no.

Read the thread again. There are no additional pins on the fog button so nothing to connect the extra wire to, the button sends DATA on the same lines to the BCM which contains an additional module.

You have three options:
  • Re-verse engineer a module similar to the SEL BCM that would accept the OEM fog switch data and not conflict with the other modules on the data bus. (but it would probably be easier and cheaper to just buy a SEL BCM and have the dealer enable fogs in IDS).
  • Modify the switch as Chaddz3 hinted at so that the fog button on the switch somehow activated a standard electro-mechanical switch.
  • Use Chaddz3's solution and don't bother with the factory switch, but install a standard toggle or rocker switch elsewhere.
The first option might be possible.. but may be cost prohibitive.. It can be done, but you would probably have to find a SEL BCM out of a wrecked one. The dealer will only sell one based on VIN... Also since alot of dealers will not flash modules with data other than what was originally assigned to the VIN of the car that is in the shop.. You'll have to find someone with an IDS system (or spend the money to buy your own).. then flash it yourself.. (may be risky). I don't know if you would be able to flash the SEL BCM using a non SEL VIN, and using a SEL VIN during the flash may cause a no start condition after wards (at least it does on the F150's when using the XLT VIN on an non XLT from what i understand)...

like i said it might be possible, but considering the costs involved with buying an IDS setup and the cost of an SEL BCM, thats a lot of money to gamble on just to find out it wont work.