Old 11-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #26
SD_Rider
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103846
What I Drive: 2002 Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SD_Rider Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Good news and bad news.

Good news: I replaced the timing belt and pulleys (Gates kit). I also replaced the water pump. I also found a broken tensioner pulley. (Autozone replacement). Did I also mention that the water pump pulley bolts came off by hand?

Bad news: After 3.5 weeks of the car being apart...got it buttoned together and it wouldn't start.

Due to my lack of time and still no manual to speak of, I took it to my trusted mechanic. He also checked out the leak for me.

He said that I put the timing belt on wrong....$200 labor. He said there's a mark...not sure what I did wrong, but I still saved a couple hundred doing the other work myself.

More bad news: While he had it up on the lift, he said it was my heater core that was leaking...not a hose as I'd hoped. $550 to replace. I looked around and everything I found mentioned it was a rare failure, but a PITA to replace, so I bit the bullet.

More bad news: I still have the codes that initially made me guess the timing belt.
P0420-Catalyst System Efficiency Bank1 - I'm guessing cat or O2 sensors.
P1381-VCT over-advanced (Bank1)-not sure what this is???
P1518-Intake Manifold Runner Control Malfunction (Stuck open) -not sure what this is???

I'm pretty sure at this point I require a manual to know what theses sensors are and how to test them.